Founded 1983 | Whitehorse, YT
Yukon University’s mandate is “solving northern problems with northern expertise.” Located in Whitehorse, the school’s Ayamdigut campus overlooks the river valley and mountains to the east. The college delivers more than 40 certificate, diploma and degree programs at 13 campuses across the territory. The school officially changed its name from Yukon College in May 2020. The university’s areas of focus include Indigenous self-determination and governance, climate change and sustainable resource development.
In 2018, the school launched its first made-in-the-Yukon degree, a bachelor of arts in Indigenous governance. This was followed by a post-degree certificate in climate change policy. In 2019, the university introduced a northernized bachelor of arts in business administration.
Applied research at the school focuses on climate change, cold-climate innovation, natural sciences, social science and technology innovation. The YukonU Research Centre is equipped with a laboratory that features a growth chamber, a walk-in freezer and an atomic absorption spectrometer. The centre collaborates with other institutions such as the Centre for Northern Innovation in Mining and the Northern Institute of Social Justice.
Both dormitory and apartment-style residences are available for students at the Whitehorse campus.
• Business Administration
• University Access Pathways
• General Studies
• Liberal Arts
• Early Learning and Child Care
• Degree: $5,170
• Diploma: $4,440
• Certificate: $4,440
• Renewable Resources Management: In this two-year diploma program, students explore how to manage the resources of the natural world and learn mapping, biology and data collection while also gaining field experience.
• Yukon First Nations Art: Students receive hands-on instruction in beadwork, sewing, carving and fine craftwork. Classroom study equips students with entrepreneurial skills to manage and promote their art careers.
• Carpentry for Women: Students pair classroom work with workshop training and receive a pre-apprenticeship certificate upon completion. The school vets all employers involved in job placements to ensure they are aware of expectations to provide safer workplaces.