An undergraduate could feel overwhelmed at a school as big as UBC, with its sprawling Point Grey campus and an international reputation for research and graduate programs. It’s a challenge that the university addresses. In an ongoing effort to create more intimate learning, UBC is adding more student-centric learning spaces and engaging neighbouring municipalities as community partners. The smaller Okanagan campus, which has 11,900 students, is a research and learning hub.
It was founded in partnership with the Syilx Okanagan Nation and agreed to support Okanagan Indigenous culture and knowledge. Both campuses offer a range of cultural and recreational activities, as well as spectacular natural scenery. UBC operates Canada’s largest student housing program, including the 650-bed Exchange Residence that features 71 small nanosuites. UBC’s newest residence community, the Houses of the Ones Belonging to the Saltwater, will provide more than 800 beds once fully open this year.
UBC boasts a strong record in the number of Rhodes Scholars it has produced and the number of faculty who have received 3M National Teaching Fellowships. “UBC students are among the best in the world and are challenged by an outstanding faculty to reach their full potential,” says president Santa Ono. “With about 350,000 alumni, our grads are active internationally, changing the world for the better.”
• Bachelor + Master of Management: Students in this dual degree can combine undergraduate study from a range of disciplines with a master of management; opportunities to work on real-world business projects are included.
• Sustainability: This interdisciplinary program provides students with a nuanced understanding of today’s leading environmental issues through hands-on, community-based learning.
• Nsyilxcn Language Fluency: Students in this immersive bachelor program gain proficiency in the Nsyilxcn language while exploring strategies to promote its conservation and revitalization.
Tuition (includes compulsory ancillary fees)
Minimum Entering Grades
Arts, Science, Commerce, Engineering:
UBC no longer captures entering grades as a single metric; grades are reviewed relevant to the program.
Undergraduates: Full-time: 39,022 · Part-time: 17,847
Graduates: Full-time: 10,119 · Part-time: 1,634
International Students: First-year: 31%
Graduate: 39% Male-Female Ratio: 44 to 56
Residence Spaces: 14,857 (6,441 reserved for first-year students)
Residence Costs: Double room with meals: $9,526 to $11,755
Single room with meals: $10,998 to $14,642
Apartment-style: $6,559 to $13,827
• Indigenous Two-Spirit and Queer Studies: Explore the cultural, academic and artistic expressions of queer, LGBTI and two-spirit Indigenous experiences.
• Pharmacology of Drugs of Misuse and Abuse: Examine drug misuse and abuse through a combination of biological, pharmacological and psychological studies.