The Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences
Founded 1958 | Toronto, ON
The Michener Institute of Education is part of Toronto’s University Health Network (UHN) and the only post-secondary institution in Canada dedicated entirely to the delivery of applied health sciences programs. In 2016, it integrated with UHN to give students access to frontline expertise.
Located in the heart of Toronto’s downtown hospital district, the Michener Institute boasts strong clinical and industry partnerships. The college incorporates cutting-edge technology in its training and offers 20,000 square feet of simulation space, which includes laboratories, examination rooms and operating theatres. Small class sizes ensure that students get hands-on interaction within simulated clinical environments.
The Michener Institute offers 11 full-time programs and three part-time programs. Areas of study include all imaging disciplines, including ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging as well as courses in chiropody, medical laboratory science, respiratory therapy and medical radiation sciences (nuclear medicine and molecular imaging technology, radiation therapy and radiological technology). The school also offers continuing education programs and courses. After completing classroom, laboratory and simulation studies, students participate in clinical rotations at hospitals and private clinics.
• Medical Laboratory Science
• Radiation Therapy
• Radiological Technology
• Respiratory Therapy
• Diploma: $5,195-$10,186
• Post-Grad: $7,052-$13,810
• Digital Health and Data Analytics: This new program trains students to apply cutting-edge digital tools to health care, such as artificial intelligence, data analytics and machine learning.
• Cardiovascular Perfusion: Students get practical experience with current technologies by completing placements in simulated and real-life settings.
• Anesthesia Assistant: Students learn how to evaluate and sedate patients in this accredited graduate certificate program. The program is three semesters long; two semesters are completed online and the third is a clinical placement.