Keyano College’s name comes from a Cree word that roughly translates to “sharing.” Located in the fast-growing municipality of Wood Buffalo and situated near a huge boreal forest, the college serves more than 2,100 students. The two main campuses are in Fort McMurray and Fort Chipewyan, and many Keyano programs train students for careers in the Athabasca oil sands.
The Suncor Energy Industrial campus, home to Keyano’s heavy industrial programs, offers state-of-the-art operator simulators. Other programs include Aboriginal entrepreneurship, business, health and safety, nursing, science and transportation. Students may opt for certificate, diploma, trades or degree programs, many in collaboration with other institutions.
Keyano has ample indoor sports facilities and emphasizes athletics. The school also has the Keyano Theatre and Arts Centre and the Syncrude Sport and Wellness Centre, which make the college an important community hub and gathering place. The college’s campus in Fort McMurray has furnished residences for single students, and also offers townhouse-style residences for students with families. The school’s e-sports arena opened to the public in the fall of 2023.
Also as of fall 2023, Keyano offers a bachelor of science in nursing in collaboration with the University of Alberta. The program allows students to gain clinical nursing experience each term in both community and institutional settings. Similarly, Keyano is launching an advanced care paramedics diploma, a two-year blended learning program that allows students to remain in their communities for the majority of their educational program.
• Business Administration Management Diploma
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Early Learning and Child Care Diploma
• Power Engineering Comprehensive Fourth Class
• Power Engineering Co-op Third Class
• Degree $5,024
• Diploma $4,314-$7,558
• Certificate $4,314-$7,276
• Business Administration, Esports Management Diploma: Students in this program prepare for work in league administration, coaching, sports marketing and media content management.
• Environmental Technology Diploma: Students cover environmental subjects related to the natural resource sector, including soil science, environmental law, geotechnical procedures, water quality, wildlife management and more.
• Business Aviation Diploma: This two-year diploma blends business and aviation training compliant with Transport Canada standards. Students can obtain both private and commercial pilot’s licences.