Founded 1917 | Gravelbourg, SK
Collège Mathieu is Saskatchewan’s only French-language college and was originally run by the Roman Catholic Church. Bishop Olivier Elzéar Mathieu opened the college in Gravelbourg, the heart of the province’s francophone community. Today, Collège Mathieu is a modern, secular, technical and vocational school with campuses in Gravelbourg, Saskatoon and Regina. Students can choose from full-time, part-time, on- and off-campus certificate and diploma options, and programs include business administration, education, welding, event management and health care. The school has a small residence at the Gravelbourg campus with private bedrooms and a shared kitchen, a dining room and laundry.
The school’s facilities include a modern welding workshop and a health laboratory that complies with the rules set out by the Public Health Agency of Canada. After an increased demand for bilingual health care workers in Saskatchewan in 2019, Collège Mathieu and Saskatchewan Polytechnic began offering a bilingual practical nursing program.
Le Lien, the college’s physical and virtual library, lends out its collection of French-language books, movies, games and music—at no cost—across Saskatchewan and Western Canada. As part of its efforts to promote and prioritize French education and literacy, Collège Mathieu offers scholarship incentives to new graduates of Fransaskois high schools or French immersion programs.
• Early Childhood Education
• Special Education Assistant
• Licensed Bilingual Practical Nursing
• Health Care Attendant
• Diploma: $2,850-$6,280
• Certificate: $1,339-$3,903
• Early Childhood Education: This program includes online lectures and tutorials and an in-person internship. Students learn how to work with children up to the age of 12. Graduates are qualified to work in preschools, school-based childcare and other childcare settings.
• Practical Nursing: This program is offered 60 per cent in French and 40 per cent in English. Students must complete 180 hours of lab and practicum work.
• Welding: This Red Seal-certified program meets the interprovincial standard of excellence and enables students to find work anywhere in Canada.