Northern Lakes College (NLC) serves the needs of rural communities throughout north-central Alberta. NLC provides opportunities to students who want flexible learning options, allowing them to balance work, school and family. Programs and services are available through supported distance learning, a flexible learning option for students who wish to obtain a certificate or diploma without moving away from home.
NLC offers a range of certificates and diplomas in academic upgrading, apprenticeship trades, business and administrative studies, health careers, human services careers, pre-employment trades, resource technology and university studies. The college collaborates with university partners to provide degree-completion opportunities: diploma courses counting toward a bachelor of education or social work. Dual-credit programming allows high school students to experience college programs while earning both high school and post-secondary credits. Mobile training labs allow the college to offer students practical trade-related experiences in their home communities. The continuing education and corporate training department provides a variety of professional accreditation and certificate programs.
NLC has residences at its Grouard, Slave Lake and Stony Point (Wabasca) campuses.
• Academic Upgrading
• Practical Nurse
• Early Learning and Child Care Diploma
• University Studies
• Social Work
• Diploma $3,041-$7,986
• Certificate $2,209-$6,302
• Asset and Maintenance Management Training: This program boosts the credentials of operations and maintenance managers in asset-intensive industries.
• Health Care Aide Employed Student Tutored Education Program (eSTEP): Non-certified health-care aides receive certification and additional work experience in a clinical setting.
• Supported Distance Learning: This model is designed to provide post-secondary learning opportunities while allowing students to remain in their communities as they further their education.