Surrounded by the St. Lawrence River, Iohahi:io Akwesasne Education and Training Institute is in Mohawk territory, which spans both Ontario and Quebec as well as parts of northern New York state. Each class is limited to 16 students, so instructors at Iohahi:io have the chance to get to know their students well.
The school regularly adds courses based on career opportunities. For example, the leadership development series, a part-time program held in the evening, recently accepted a second cohort due to demand. Iohahi:io also offers interest courses for both students and members of the community. These courses run over a period of weeks and review topics covered in the school’s trades programs, such as small engine repair or traditional Mohawk beadwork.
Iohahi:io prides itself on shifting its offerings according to the needs and wants of its students and the community, while also working to accommodate the schedules of its students, many of whom are parents. The school has a cafeteria and kitchen where students can eat breakfast and lunch each day, and offers cooking courses that incorporate traditional Mohawk recipes.
• Personal Support Worker
• Gas Technician
• Early Childhood Education
• Carpentry Techniques
• Mental Wellness and Addictions Worker
• Diploma: $2,986
• Certificate: $2,986
• Introduction to Welding: Students learn the basics of welding in this program. New applicants are given a welding kit and receive training in how to use it. There is also an advanced welding program available to people with previous training who are hoping to qualify as an advanced or certified welder.
• Pathways to Indigenous Empowerment: Courses in this program cover math, computers, communications and Indigenous ways of knowing as students prepare to continue their higher education journeys. This one-year certificate program is offered in partnership with Algonquin College.
• Business Fundamentals: This introductory program takes a broad approach to business, covering core skills in accounting, marketing, human resources, math and communications related to business.
• General Arts and Science—Pre-Trades Stream: This one-year program blends specialized training in masonry, plumbing and carpentry with learning in communication, math, physics and general education. Students choose an online general education elective in the program’s second semester.