Gabriel Dumont Institute of Native Studies and Applied Research
The Gabriel Dumont Institute of Native Studies and Applied Research (GDI) is one of the largest Métis educational and cultural institutes in the country. Through partnerships with post-secondary schools, GDI offers educational, vocational and skills-training programs. As a conservator of Métis culture, GDI hosts a large virtual museum with photographs, artwork, and text and oral history records. The award-winning GDI Press, which publishes Métis authors and illustrators exclusively, has been recognized for promoting history and culture.
GDI’s main campus is in Saskatoon, with 10 educational centres throughout the province. The Dumont Technical Institute is the skills-training and adult basic education branch of GDI. The institute has six training and employment centres.
The college’s Saskatchewan Urban Native Teacher Education Program, a bachelor of education program focusing on Indigenous studies, cross-cultural education, and Métis and First Nations history and culture, works with the universities of Regina and Saskatchewan.
Approximately 80 per cent of GDI’s graduates secure employment within three months of graduating. For some programs, such as SUNTEP and practical nursing, the number is greater than 90 per cent. The institute is the second-largest practical nursing training provider in Saskatchewan.
• Degree: $6,500-$8,500
• Diploma: $10,500-$12,500
• Certificate: $7,000-$11,000
• Post-Grad: $7,000-$8,000
• Saskatchewan Urban Native Teacher Education Program (SUNTEP)
• Practical Nursing
• Adult Basic Education
• Northern Saskatchewan Indigenous Teacher Education Program
• Continuing Care Assistant: Students receive training in a small class setting alongside clinical practicum experience in several care environments.
• Justice Studies Program: This program merges classroom study with hands-on practicums in organizations like the Saskatchewan Ministry of Justice.
• Workplace 101: This program helps students gain the academic skills they need to find employment.