Centre collégial de l'Alberta
Founded 2014 | Edmonton, AB
Centre collégial de l’Alberta is run by the French-language faculty at Campus Saint-Jean at the University of Alberta. The school opened in 2014 to meet a demand for college-level courses from Alberta’s growing francophone population. The province has the fourth-largest French-speaking population in Canada; more than 200,000 primary and secondary school students were in French-language programs in 2017-18.
The college offers programs in three areas: a two-year diploma in business administration, a one-year certificate and a two-year diploma in early childhood education (ECE), and an eight-month health care aide (HCA) certificate. Business administration and ECE are offered through distance learning. The HCA program includes a lab component, and both the ECE and HCA programs include practicums. The school prides itself on a supportive and intimate atmosphere.
Located in Edmonton’s French Quarter, the campus is a cultural hub for Alberta’s francophones and includes Le Carrefour, a French-language bookshop and boutique. Eligible students can apply to stay at Résidence Saint-Jean, where residents commit to living in an entirely French-speaking environment for a total immersion experience. Anyone can join a range of francophone student clubs and sports teams. A free shuttle links Campus Saint-Jean to the University of Alberta’s North Campus.
• Techniques in Business Administration
• Early Childhood Education Certificate
• Early Childhood Education Diploma
• Health Care Aide
• Diploma: $6,500
• Certificate: $6,500
• Health Care Aide: Based on the Alberta government curriculum, this program prepares students to become front-line workers on health care teams equipped to work in French and English.
• Early Childhood Education Certificate and Diploma: Students complete one year to obtain a certificate in ECE, and they can complete an additional year to obtain a diploma. They learn how to introduce children to language and help them understand their environment. The program’s internships are completed in francophone daycare centres in the province.